qwo8B1s6z4d qwo8B1s6z4d غير متواجد حالياً
عضو جديد

تاريخ التسجيل: Aug 2014
العمر: 39
المشاركات: 1
معدل تقييم المستوى: 0
qwo8B1s6z4d is on a distinguished road
افتراضي and said he has felt empowered. ``I helped put up walls

``All Greeks aren't beer-drinking, partying guys,'' said Eric Lederer, 21, an Erial resident and fraternity vice president. ``We do do good things for the community, and volunteering is one of them. ``It's a good way of helping out people who aren't as fortunate as we are.'' Phi Kappa Sigma is one of 12 Camden campus fraternities and sororities - all of which volunteer time and money to help the surrounding community, according to university spokesman Mike Sepanic. Fraternity Lambda Theta Phi ran an ``Advancement of Latino Youth'' weekend retreat this month at the campus to help the youths experience college life. Sorority Lambda Theta Alpha this month organized a bone-marrow drive for several Camden residents who needed transplants. Some sorority members were tested and also brought in other students and area residents for testing, the university said. Several people had matching bone marrow and agreed to donate. ``There are so many people who can use a helping hand, and if you've got the time, you should lend it,'' said Jason McHugh, 20, a Pennsauken resident and Phi Kappa Sigma member who is working on the Clinton Street house. ``We're doing something good for the community and for ourselves,'' he said. ``It's for people who don't have the resources. We're helping them get on their feet and putting them in the right direction.'' In the process, McHugh has performed work he had never done before, and said he has felt empowered. ``I helped put up walls, clean out the basement, build the first and second floors, put on the roof, and put down plywood and joists,'' said the Rutgers sophomore. ``A lot of us came into this not knowing a lot about building a house, and it makes you feel better about doing it. It makes you know what brotherhood is about . . . I'm glad I got involved.'' Phi Kappa Sigma member Will Lewellen, 21, a Clementon resident, said he joined the fraternity because he ``wanted to do more than go to school and go home.'' He is. The fraternity has helped clean up a local park and raise money for food and prizes for other volunteers. It has ``adopted'' a section of Interstate 676 near the Benjamin Franklin Bridge and periodically cleans it. It sells flowers to raise money for cancer research and donates money for leukemia research. ``I think volunteerism is important,'' said Lewellen, the fraternity's social director. ``If the people on the campus see us doing something, maybe they will do something. ``If someone does good for me, I will be more likely to do good for others. The family that moves into the [Clinton Street] house might feel that way too.'' The students still have to build stairs, install drywall and complete other projects at the construction site. But the hardest work is now behind them. ``These volunteers made the difference - without a doubt,'' said Joe Mannion, the construction manager for Metropolitan Camden Habitat for Humanity, the Camden chapter of the group. ``They came in good weather and bad weather, on weekdays and Saturdays, between classes and work. The house would still be dilapidated and uninhabitable, a hazard to the community, if it wasn't for them.'' Lederer said the fraternity members have each put in about 150 to 200 hours on the house project. Habitat for Humanity provides the building materials. ``There is a lot of team work involved,'' he said. ``We could have been hanging out or studying, but we wanted to work at the house. It's a good feeling to do things for other people.''

العلامات المرجعية

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا يمكنك اضافة مرفقات
لا يمكنك تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

جميع الأوقات بتوقيت GMT +2. الساعة الآن 04:17 PM.