تاريخ التسجيل: Nov 2008
المشاركات: 47
معدل تقييم المستوى: 0
زيطة is on a distinguished road
افتراضي القصة المقررة فى التيرم الأول

القصة المقررة فى التيرم الأول
The first short story Surprise
A stranger visits Augustus in his room
Augustus Pokewhistle was an artist. He painted pictures and drew drawings but he was unable to sell them. So he lived in poverty. He was lying ill in his bed when an immense man visited him. He thought that the man was a doctor who had been sent there by some interfering so-called friend of his to save him from his suffering. He thought that "the doctor" couldn’t understand his illness unless he told him the story of his life.
Augustus’ interest in drawing at an early age
Augustus told “the doctor” that he was delicately brought up and he wasn't an ordinary boy. At the age of seven, he won a prize for a drawing of an animal. He intended his drawing to represent sunset over London. His parents encouraged him by providing him with pencils, paper and gave him the opportunity to studying under great painters.
Starting a business as a painter of people
At the age of twenty one, he began business as a painter of people and painted eleven pictures of himself. Nobody bought any of them, so he hang them on the wall of his sifting room. Nobody came to have their pictures painted.
Turning to painting the country
He turned from painting people to painting the country. He painted the view from the front window seven times and the view from the back window nine times but he couldn't sell them.
Drawing funny pictures for the newspapers
Now he had little money and was almost hungry. So he decided to forget his soul and paint for money. He drew funny pictures for the newspapers. He sent thirty or forty drawing to the papers everyday but he got no money because they were sent back to him.
Drawing for advertisements
He became more and more disheartened. He tried drawing for advertisement. He sent them off by the hundred. All he received was a sample bottle and a sample card. After that he decided to take to hr-s lied and never to rise again, lie lost hope and gave up business.
The visitor's real character
The man told him That he was certain that he would rise again. He placed Augustus on The carpet saying that he was from the furniture shop and had come to take the bed away as it wasn't paid for.
Questions with model Answers
A-Answer the following questions:
1-What was Augustus Pokewhistle?
-He was an artist. He painted pictures and drew drawings but he wasn't able to sell them.
2-Who did Augustus think the visitor was?
-Augustus thought the visitor was a doctor.
3-Why did he win a prize at the age of seven?
-A1 the age of seven he won a prize for a drawing of an animal.
4-How did his parents encourage him to pain?
-They provided him with pencils and paper and gave him the opportunity of studying under great painters.
5-What sort of business did he start at the age of twenty-one?
-At the age of twenty-one he started a business as a painter of other people.
6-Augustus’s business as a painter of people wasn't successful. Say why?
-Because he only painted pictures of his face and nobody wanted to buy them.
7-Why did he decide to stop painting people and to paint the country?
-Because no body wanted the pictures of his face and nobody came to have their pictures painted.
8-Augustus painted the country but he didn't sell any of the paintings. Give a reason.
-He only painted the view from his front and back window.
9-Was he satisfied with drawing funny pictures for newspapers? How do you know that?
-No, he wasn't. He Felt that he sold his soul for money and that if he had had the soul of a true artist, he'd have died rather than do such a thing.
10-What made Augustus describe drawing for newspapers as “selling his soil”?
-He did it against his principles. He had to do it because he needed money and was almost hungry. He considers himself as a true artist.
11-What happened when he failed in drawing for the newspapers?
-He gave up the struggle and determined to lake to his bed, never to rise again.
12-What made him decide to take to his bed and never to rise again?
-All his attempts to earn his living failed. He didn’t sell his paintings. He couldn't get money from his job. He lost hope.
13-What made the man from the furniture shop sure that Augustus would rise again from his bed?
-He came from the furniture shop to take Augustus's bed in which he was lying because it wasn’t paid for.
14-What was the purpose of the man's visit to Augustus?
-The purpose of the man's visit was to take the bed away because it wasn't paid for.
Exercises
A - Answer the following questions:
1 -What was Augustus's Pokewhistle’s job? 2-Why do you think Augustus was in bed?
3 -Who did Augustus think the stranger was? 4-How was he brought up?
5 -Where did he hang the pictures of his face? 6-Why did he slop painting himself?
7 -When did he get a prize for a drawing?
8 -What kind of business did he start at the age of twenty-one?
9 -What made him turn from painting people to painting the country?
10-Why did he draw funny pictures for the newspapers?
11-Why did he decide to forget his soul and paint for money?
12-Did he succeed in painting for the newspapers?
13-What did he decide to do after he had failed in drawing for the newspapers?
14-Why did the stranger come (o take Augustus Pokewhistle’s bed?
15-What was his decision after (he failure of his attempts to earn his living?
16-What do you think of Augustus Pokewhistle’s character?
17-Do you like him or not? Give reasons.
I8-What would you do if you were in his position?
19-Do you sympathize with him? Give reasons.
20-"Augustus Pokewhistle's illness was a result of his feeling of disappointment and frustration? Do you agree to this statement? Give reasons,
21-What sort of man is Augustus?
22-What would have happened if he had sold his paintings?
23-Do you think that he was a successful artist? Give reasons
Quotations
C- Read the following quotations and answer the questions:
1-"You arc the doctor, I suppose. It is kind of you to come, but I don't think yon can help me."
a - Who said these words? To whom?
b - By whom did the speaker Think "the doctor" was sent?
c - Why did he think that "the doctor" couldn't understand his illness?
2-“I suppose you have been sent here by some interfering so- called friend of mine to save me of my suffering."
a - Accenting to Augustus, who was the visitor? And why did he visit him?
b - What did he think of his friends?
c - What was the real purpose of the man's visit to Augustus?
3-“I turned from painting people to painting the country.”
a - Why did Augustus turn from painting people to painting the county?
b - How many pictures of view did he paint? Did he sell any of them?
c - What did he decide to do after that?
4-“Nobody came to have their pictures painted, and I had no desire to paint any more of myself”
a - Who said this to whom?
b - What made him lose desire to paint himself?
c- What did he decide to do when he failed as a painter of other people?
5- I only had a bit of money left, and I decided, after a sever struggle with myself, to forget my soul and paint for money,"
a - What led Augusts to forget his soul and work for money?
h - What did he do in order to get money?
c - Did he succeed in his new attempt"' How do you know that?
6- I know what you are going to say. If I had had the soul of a true artist, I would have died rather than do such a thing."
a - Who said this to whom? b - What thing did he refer to when he said this statement?
c - Do you think he is a true artist?
7- “ I soon found that selling one's soul for money is not so easy as it sound.
a - Who said this statement to whom ?
b - What did the speaker mean by saying "selling one's soul"?
c - What did he do?
8- "May I mention that there is a certain repetition in your remarks? Let me finish, and then you can say "but" as often as you like.”
a - What did Augustus want to finish?
b - Why did the stranger interrupt him several times?
c - What did you conclude about this statement?
9 - "So I gave up the struggle. My heart was broken, and I determined to take to my bed, never to rise again."
a - By whom and to whom was this statement said ?
b - Why did he decide to lake to his bed and never rise again?
c - Why was the visitor sure that he would rise from his bed again?
Model answers to the questions of the set book.
Pre- reading questions:
1 - Who are the main characters in this story?
- Augustus Pokewhistle and his visitor
2 - Why do you think that one of the men in this picture is In bed?
- Because he is ill as he has bellies of medicine beside him.
3 - Who do you think the large man is?
- think he is a stranger (a visitor) who wants something from Augustus,
4 - What kind of life has the man in bed had?
- The man in bed has had a miserable life,
Write "T" for true or "F" for false next to each of the sentences.
l-T 2-T 3-F 4-T 5-F 6-F 7-F 8-F
Complete the sentences:
t - When the "doctor" arrived, Augustus Pokewhistle supposed that he had been sent by some interfering so-called of his to ………. . = save him from his suffering,
2 - He said that the doctor wouldn’t be able to understand his illness unless ……
= he told him the story of his life,
3 - If you went into Augustus Pokewhistle’s sitting room you would see ……
= eleven painted pictures of his face hanging on the wall.
Answer the questions:
1 - Do you think that the reader should fee] any sympathy for Augustus Pokewhistle, or not? Give reasons for your answer.
-1 think the reader should no feel sympathy for Augustus Pokewhistle because he was not gifted. He was vain and arrogant
2 - How does Augustus Pokewhistle describe his friends? Do you think lie would be a nice person to have as a friend?
- He describes his friends as interfering and so - called friends. I don't think he would be a nice poison to have as a friend,
3 - Why do you think that Augustus Pokewhistle's business as a painter of people didn't do well?
- because he only painted portraits of his face.
4 - When Augustus Pokewhistle turned from painting people to painting the country, why do you think that he still could no! sell any of his paintings?
- because he only painted the view from his front and back window.
5- Why does Augustus Pokewhistle describe trying to sell his drawings to the newspapers as "selling his soul"?
- because it is against his principles as he sees himself as a true artist.
6 - Why did he get bottles and wool in the post?
- because the advertising agencies, which he had sent his drawing to, sent them.
7- Do you think that Augustus Pokewhistle has a good reason for never rising from his bed?
- No. He has to continue his business and he shouldn't lose hope. He has to try again and again and overcome the feeling of failure. He should have a strong will.
8 - Why is the man from the furniture shop certain that Augustus Pokewhistle will rise again from his bed?
- because has came to lake the bed away as it hasn’t been paid for.
Quotations:
1 - "I am an artist I paint pictures and I draw drawings" ….
After reading this story, do you think Augustus Pokewhistle is justified in making this statement? Give reasons for your answers,
- He is not justified in making this statement He was not a true artist because all his drawings were not sold. When he painted people, he only drew pictures of his own face. When he turned to painting the country he only painted views from his front and back window,
2 - "Although it may seem impossible, I could no Longer get any pleasure out of it after I had finished the eleventh, and this proves that one can get tired of even the most heavenly beauty……"
What does this statement tell us about Augustus Pokewhistle?
- This statement tell us that Augustus is vain /arrogant. He no longer found pleasure in drawing.
Choose the correct answer:
1-d 2-a
Match the beginnings and ends of the sentences
A - iii B- i C- iv D - ii
Complete the notes on Augustus Pokewhistle:
1 - At the age of seven…... = he won a prize for the drawing of an animal.
2 - Then at the age of twenty-one …. = he started a business as a painter of people and painted eleven pictures of his face.
3-Because he couldn’t sell them, he determined to…= draw funny pictures for the newspapers.
4 - When he became more and more disheartened, he tried…. = drawing for advertisements. He sent of by the hundred, and all he receive back was a sample bottle or two and a sample card of wood.
5-Finally,…= he give up the struggle and determined to take to his bed, never to rise again.
Put the events in the correct order:

العلامات المرجعية

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا يمكنك اضافة مرفقات
لا يمكنك تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

جميع الأوقات بتوقيت GMT +2. الساعة الآن 07:49 PM.