مــٌــعلــم

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2009
المشاركات: 6,125
معدل تقييم المستوى: 22
ابو بيشو is on a distinguished road
افتراضي What's the difference ?من موقع Longman

الفرق بين بعض الكلمات التى يصعب احيانا تحديد الفرق بينها بسهولة
Historic and historical
In one sense these words are distinguished from each other, but in another sense they overlap.
Historic, according to The Cambridge Guide to English Usage (p. 250):
is more self-consciously associated with the making of history, so that a historic event is one which people feel is particularly significant in the life and culture of the nation. Historical is more neutral, acknowledging that something belongs to the past, or to the study of the past, or else that it really happened and is not fictitious.

According to this usage, a historical book is a book about history, but a historic book is one that is particularly significant in the culture, perhaps because it was the first of its kind — the first novel, the first book printed rather than copied by hand, the first book to deal with a certain subject, etc.

A historical person is one who really existed in the past. Legends are usually fantastic imaginary stories that grow around a historical figure. That is, the person really existed, even though the deeds and events of the legend are imaginary or exaggerated.

Similarly, a historical event is one that actually happened, though it may not be significant. A historic event, on the other hand, is one that is significant.

According to The Cambridge Guide, a historical building is simply an old building. A historic building is considered important because a memorable event happened in or near it — an assassination, the signing of a treaty, the founding of an important organization, etc.
However, references disagree on whether historic can mean "very old". The Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English and the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary give one meaning of historic as "very old" or "dating from or preserved from a past time or culture." This meaning is also common on the Internet.
……………………………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………………………
I wish I took /I wish I had taken
My friend advised me to walk 4 km every day. I wish I took her advice more seriously. (I wish now that I would walk 4 km every day now.)

My friend advised me to walk 4 km every day. I wish I had taken her advice more seriously. (I wish now that I had walked 4 km every day in a past time period.)
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………
Electric and electrical
Corpus evidence shows that electric is the more common word. We tend to use electric when referring to a specific thing that is powered by electricity or produced by electricity: electric train, electric drill, electric current, electric shock, electric fence, electric car.

We use electrical for more generic terms or for words that relate generally to the nature of electricity: electrical appliances, electrical equipment, electrical energy, electrical engineer.
الملفات المرفقة
نوع الملف: doc Historic and historical.doc‏ (27.5 كيلوبايت, المشاهدات 33)
قديم 08-04-2011, 10:38 PM
MAZEN gamal MAZEN gamal غير متواجد حالياً
عضو خبير

تاريخ التسجيل: Aug 2008
المشاركات: 511
معدل تقييم المستوى: 17
MAZEN gamal is on a distinguished road
افتراضي

you are always great thanks
قديم 08-04-2011, 11:02 PM
MAZEN gamal MAZEN gamal غير متواجد حالياً
عضو خبير

تاريخ التسجيل: Aug 2008
المشاركات: 511
معدل تقييم المستوى: 17
MAZEN gamal is on a distinguished road
افتراضي

slightly tall means much taller or a lot taller

العلامات المرجعية

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا يمكنك اضافة مرفقات
لا يمكنك تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

جميع الأوقات بتوقيت GMT +2. الساعة الآن 11:15 PM.