عضو ممتاز

تاريخ التسجيل: Nov 2008
المشاركات: 244
معدل تقييم المستوى: 16
mahamedsalah_89 is on a distinguished road
Impp questions unit 10 11 with model answers

Vocabulary – Unit 10

Name ______________________________________ Date ______________

1. Read the paragraph. Fill in the blanks with words from the book.
Have you ever read about _______________ (animals and plants that live in natural conditions)? I have just watched a television programme from which I have learnt a lot about wild animals. God created these animals with certain characteristics to help them _______________ to life in _______________ heat or cold.
For example, sand cats have _______________ which protects them from the very hot weather in the Egyptian desert. Moreover, they don't have to look for water because they get the _______________ they need from their _______________ like rats and mice. Fish have got _______________ which help them swim, whereas birds have wings and are covered in _______________. Some of these, like the peacock’s, have very bright colours. Crocodiles, snakes, lizards and many fish have small, flat pieces of hard skin that cover their bodies. These are called _______________.
What I got really surprised about is that insects, like flies and spiders, don't have a _______________ in spite of the fact that it is very necessary for movement in larger animals and humans. God's creation is really unbelievable!

5. Replace the underlined word with a word from the unit.

1. Humans, lions, and crocodiles have a bone down the middle of the back.
4. The lion is running after its animal that is hunted and eaten by another animal.

6. Use your Active Study Dictionary to find the following:
1. a sample sentence for:
a. design: __________________________________________________ ______
b. moisture: __________________________________________________ ____
c. adapt: __________________________________________________ _______

ANSWERS

Have you ever read about wildlife (animals and plants that live in natural conditions)? I have just watched a television programme from which I have learnt a lot about wild animals. God created these animals with certain characteristics to help them adapt to life in extreme heat or cold.
For example, sand cats have fur which protects them from the very hot weather in the Egyptian desert. Moreover, they don't have to look for water because they get the moisture they need from their prey like rats and mice. Fish have got fins which help them swim, whereas birds have wings and are covered in feathers. Some of these, like the peacock’s, have very bright colours. Crocodiles, snakes, lizards and many fish have small, flat pieces of hard skin that cover their bodies. These are called scales.
What I got really surprised about is that insects, like flies and spiders, don't have a backbone in spite of the fact that it is very necessary for movement in larger animals and humans. God's creation is really unbelievable!

1. backbone
2. glaciers
3. mountain
4. prey
5. grassland

a. Either of the following two sentences is correct:
We've made one or two changes to the computer's original design.
The palace was designed by an Italian architect.
b. moisture: The desert air contains hardly any moisture.
c. adapt: Any of the following sentences is correct:
Old people find it hard to adapt to life in a foreign country.
The car's engine had been adapted to take unleaded fuel.
Alpine flowers are well adapted to the cold winters.

Grammar unit 10
Rewrite using the word in brackets to write short answers for each of the following questions.
1. Have you ever seen a shark? (No)
__________________________________________________ ____________

2. Can a turtle run fast? (No)

3. Do you keep a pet at home? (Yes)

4. Did you enjoy your summer holiday? (Yes)

5. Are you a good swimmer? (No)

2. Correct the underlined mistakes in the following dialogue.
Alaa: Hello, Karim. Did you have a good time in Marsa Matrouh?
Karim: Yes, I (1) does. It was fantastic!
Alaa: Did you (2) saw Mustafa there?
Karim: No, I (3) did.
Alaa: Has he (4) went to Alexandria with his family?
Karim: No, he (5) hadn’t. He is still in Cairo. He hasn’t travelled yet.
Alaa: I want to call him but I don’t have his phone number. Can you (6) gave it to me?
Karim: Yes, I (7) could. Have you got a piece of paper?
Alaa: Yes, I (8) do. Take it.
Karim: Fine. I wrote it down. Here you are!
Alaa: Thank you very much.

1. _______________ 2. _______________ 3. _______________
4. _______________ 5. _______________ 6. _______________
7. _______________ 8. _______________

3.Find the mistakes in the following dialogue and correct them.
Fatin: Have you seen my new pen?
Mother: I haven’t. Did you took it with you to school yesterday?
Fatin: No, I didn’t.
Mother: Do you keep it in the pencil case?
Fatin No, I didn’t. I usually keep it in the drawers of my desk.
Mother: Have you searched there?
Fatin: Yes, I have but I didn’t find it. Do you help me search for it, please?
Mother: Yes, I can.

(You will find three mistakes.)
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
__________________________________________________ _________________

4. Match the questions with the suitable answer and rewrite them below.

A
B
1. Have you seen that painting before?
A. No, it can’t.
2. Can a chicken fly fast?
B. Yes, they do.
3. Do fish lay eggs?
C. Yes, it has.
4. Are tigers wild animals?
D. Yes, they have.
5. Has your cat got sharp claws?
E. No, I haven’t.

F. Yes, they are.

1. __________________________________________________ ____________
2. __________________________________________________ ____________
3. __________________________________________________ ____________
4. __________________________________________________ ____________
5. __________________________________________________ ____________

5. Read the dialogue. Underline the correct word in parentheses.
Hala: You look awful! (Are – Is - Were) you all right?
Sara: No, I’m not.
Hala: Is it the housework that made you look that bad?
Sara: Yes, it (had – was - is). I was trying to do some work around the house and everything went wrong.
Hala: Can you (told - have told - tell) me what happened?
Sara: Yes, I (can - could - can’t). While I was cleaning the kitchen window, the ladder slipped and I fell and hurt my back.
Hala: (Were – Are - Is) that all that happened?
Sara: No, that’s not all. Also, when I was hanging the picture in the living room, I hit my finger with a hammer.
Hala: (Are - Is - Do) you bleeding now?
Sara: No, I’m not.
Hala: (Do – Did - Does) it hurt?
Sara: Yes, it does.
Hala: I’m terribly sorry for you. Do you need anything?
Sara: No, I (didn’t – do - don’t). Thanks, dear.

6. Complete the dialogue with short answers.

Zookeeper: Is this your first visit to the zoo?
Ahmed: __________________________. In fact, it’s my first visit to Cairo.
Zookeeper: Have you seen an elephant before?
Ahmed: __________________________. I didn’t know they were so big! Do they ever eat meat?
Zookeeper: __________________________. They eat only plants.
Ahmed: Can elephants swim?
Zookeeper: __________________________. And if the water is deep, they will swim under the water and hold their trunks up above the water to breathe.
Ahmed: Do they lay eggs?
Zookeeper: __________________________. They’re mammals and give birth.
Ahmed: Are they the biggest animals here in the zoo?
Zookeeper: __________________________. In fact, they are the biggest land animals today.
Ahmed: Can I take a ride on that elephant?
Zookeeper: __________________________. That's not allowed.
Ahmed: That's OK. Thanks anyway.

Vocabulary - Unit 11

Secondary 1 - Vocabulary - Unit 11

Omar and Ahmed like ______________ very much. They like exciting experiences in which dangerous things happen. Last summer, they decided to go to an ____________ and stay for a week. They think it's great to stay on a piece of land completely surrounded by water. They spent a long time preparing for this trip. They took a _______________ to use in case someone was hurt. For cooking, they took a _____________. Their friend Raouf is a _____________, so he designed a tent for them to protect them from the heat of the sun. Moreover, he suggested taking a ______________ which they could use to signal to ships.
They took a boat from the _____________ to the island. They liked the view so much that Omar, who is an ____________, decided to draw it. One day, very early in the morning, Omar went fishing on the other side of the island. When Ahmed woke up and didn't find his friend, he was alone and felt quite ____________. Later Omar came with the fish he had caught, so they cooked it and ate it for breakfast.

5. Give one word that means the following.
1. a sound, action, or event that gives information or tells someone to do something: ____________________
2. when the ship you are traveling on is destroyed in an accident at sea: ____________________
3. to go down, or make something go down, below the surface: ____________________
4. an exciting experience in which dangerous or unusual things happen: ____________________
5. to remove something, such as a jacket: ____________________

6. Use your Active Study Dictionary to find the following:
a. the noun of:
1. marry: ____________________
2. patient: ____________________
3. successful: ____________________

b. three words that contain "human".
1. ____________________
2. ____________________
3. ____________________

c. three words that would appear on the pages between the entries between "shut" and "sign".
1. ____________________
2. ____________________
3. ____________________

Vocabulary - Unit 11
ANSWERS

Omar and Ahmed like adventures very much. They like exciting experiences in which dangerous things happen. Last summer, they decided to go to an island and stay for a week. They think it's great to stay on a piece of land completely surrounded by water. They spent a long time preparing for this trip. They took a first-aid box to use in case someone was hurt. For cooking, they took a cooking pot. Their friend Raouf is a designer, so he designed a tent for them to protect them from the heat of the sun. Moreover, he suggested taking a mirror which they could use to signal to ships.
They took a boat from the mainland to the island. They liked the view so much that Omar, who is an artist, decided to draw it. One day, very early in the morning, Omar went fishing on the other side of the island. When Ahmed woke up and didn't find his friend, he was alone and felt quite lonely. Later Omar came with the fish he had caught, so they cooked it and ate it for breakfast.

1. signal
2. shipwrecked
3. sink
4. adventure
5. take off

a.
1. marriage
2. patience
3. success

b.
1. humanism
2. humanity
3. humankind

c.
Answers may vary. Any of the following are correct:
shutdown, shut-in, shutter, shuttle, shuttlecock, shy, shyster, sibling, sic, sick, sicken, sickening, sickle, sickness, side, sideboard, sideburns, sidecar, side dish, side effect, sidekick, sideline, sidelong, sideshow, sidestep, sideswipe, sidetrack, sidewalk, sideways, siding, sidle, siege, siesta, sieve, sift, sigh, sight, sighted, sighting, sightless, sightseeing

Grammar – Unit 11
Modal Verbs for Prohibition

1. Rewrite using the word in brackets to give the same meaning.

1. It’s not necessary to pay extra money for that dress. (don’t have to)
2. It’s necessary to respect the school rules. (have to)
3. I advise you not to go out because you’ve got a high temperature. (shouldn’t)

4. It’s necessary not to swim when the sea is rough. (mustn’t)

5. It’s necessary to brush your teeth after meals. (must)

2. Correct the underlined mistakes.

If you are travelling by plane you (1) don’t have to know some travelling tips. First, you (2) mustn’t be at the airport at least two hours before the flight. Also, you (3) don’t have to take scissors and knives with you on board the plane because it’s forbidden. Then while the plane is taking off, you (4) don’t have to fasten your seat belts but during the flight you (5) have to keep your seat belt fastened as there is no need for that. During the flight, you won’t feel bored: You can find magazines, watch films, or even listen to music so you (6) mustn’t worry about that. Finally, while the plane is landing, you (7) don’t have to fasten your seat belt again.

1. _______________ 2. _______________ 3. _______________
4. _______________ 5. _______________ 6. _______________
7. _______________

3. Find the mistakes and correct them.
What to do when you stay at a hotel: First, make sure you have a reservation before checking in. Second, you don’t have to bring any pets into the hotel. Third, you shouldn’t keep your money in the hotel safe. Finally, you must to check out before twelve o’clock noon.
(You will find three mistakes.)
__________________________________________________ _________________________________

4. Match the phrases and rewrite each sentence below.

A
B
1. You won’t have to worry about
a. you don’t understand something.
2. You mustn’t take the pen
b. the test if you study well.
3. You should ask your teacher if
c. to play the piano.
4. You have to buy a ticket when you
d. that is not yours.
5. You must listen to the tour guide
e. to know about the temple at Luxor.

f. go to the cinema.

1. __________________________________________________ ____________
2. __________________________________________________ ____________
3. __________________________________________________ ____________
4. __________________________________________________ ____________
5. __________________________________________________ ____________

5. Read the paragraph. Underline the correct word in parentheses.

In order to go rock climbing, you (have to – mustn’t - don’t have to) be strong and you also (shouldn’t - don’t have to - must) have a good sense of balance.
You (mustn’t – must - shouldn’t) know the abilities of your body well. You (don’t have to - mustn’t - should) have a strong will to climb. You (have to - don’t have to - mustn’t) wear your everyday shoes. You need special shoes to prevent slipping.Also, you (don’t have to – should - mustn’t) go climbing if you don’t feel well. You (have to - mustn’t - shouldn’t) obey the safety rules and warning signs. You (mustn’t – must - don’t have to) use safety equipment. Also, you (must - mustn’t - should) wear comfortable clothing that’s suitable for the exercise and the weather.

6. Read the paragraph. Rewrite the underlined parts, beginning with the words shown below.

What should we do to protect ourselves from harmful radiations from the sun? It’s not necessary to stay indoors all the time. When we go outside, it’s a good idea to wear longsleeves to protect our skin from the sun. It’s very important to put sun cream on our skin.It reflects the harmful rays of the sun. We should also wear sunglasses that have UV protection.

1. It's not necessary to stay indoors all the time.
We __________________________________________________ ___________

2. When we go outside, it’s a good idea to wear long sleeves to protect our skin from the sun.
When we go outside, we ______________________________________________

3. It’s very important to put sun cream on our skin. We________________________________________________ _______________

ANSWERS

1. You don’t have to pay extra money for that dress.
2. You have to respect the school rules.
3. You shouldn’t go out because you’ve got a high temperature.
4. You mustn’t swim when the sea is rough.
5. You must brush your teeth after meals.

1. have to / must
2. must / have to
3. mustn’t
4. have to / must
5. don’t have to
6. don’t have to
7. have to / must

What to do when you stay at a hotel: First, make sure you have a reservation before checking in. Second, you mustn’t bring any pets into the hotel. Third, you should keep your money in the hotel safe. Finally, you must / have to check out before twelve o’clock noon.

1-b You won’t have to worry about the test if you study well.
2-d You mustn’t take the pen that is not yours.
3-a You should ask the teacher if you don’t understand something.
4-f You have to buy a ticket when you go to the cinema.
5-e You must listen to the tour guide to know about the temple at Luxor.

In order to go rock climbing, you have to be strong and you also must have a good sense of balance.
You must know the abilities of your body well. You should have a strong will to climb. You mustn’t wear your everyday shoes. You need special shoes to prevent slipping.Also, you mustn’t go climbing if you don’t feel well. You have to obey the safety rules and warning signs. You must use safety equipment. Also, you must wear comfortable clothing that’s suitable for the exercise and the weather.

1. We don’t have to stay indoors all the time.
2. When we go outside, we should wear long sleeves to protect our skin from the sun.
3. We must put sun cream on our skin.

قديم 08-03-2010, 12:08 AM
mahamedsalah_89 mahamedsalah_89 غير متواجد حالياً
عضو ممتاز

تاريخ التسجيل: Nov 2008
المشاركات: 244
mahamedsalah_89 is on a distinguished road
افتراضي

شكراااا وارجو ان ينال اعجاب الاخرين
قديم 08-03-2010, 02:14 AM
كتاكيتوبنى كتاكيتوبنى غير متواجد حالياً
عضو مبتدئ

تاريخ التسجيل: Jun 2009
المشاركات: 96
كتاكيتوبنى is on a distinguished road
افتراضي

دة شغل زى الفل

العلامات المرجعية

ضوابط المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا يمكنك اضافة مرفقات
لا يمكنك تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

جميع الأوقات بتوقيت GMT +2. الساعة الآن 05:34 PM.