مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : it was much easier for me to pretend to be him than to pretend to me by neighbour at

Sw0rdD
25-09-2012, 08:42 AM
السلام عليكم
In Chapter 5, page 42, line 15 we find this:
it was much easier for me to pretend to be him than to pretend to me by neighbour at home

Has any one got an idea what that means exactly?

mr.ahmedabdelwahed
25-09-2012, 08:58 PM
السلام عليكم
it was much easier for me to pretend to be him than to pretend to me by neighbour at home

pretend
اذا جاء بعدها
to +obj by
تعنى اكذب على

يبقى معنى الجملة

كان اسهل على ان ادعى باننى هو من ان اكذب على جار لى فى وطنى

هذا جهدى وعليكم البحث للتاكد

Essam ABDOU
26-09-2012, 12:18 AM
to be my - not to me by
Best regards Mr. SwordD

Sw0rdD
27-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Thanks a lot, mr.ahmedabdelwahed (http://www.thanwya.com/vb/member.php?u=57380) for your feedback. I tried to figure it out, but I couldn't.. Plz try to paraphrase it in simple English. Break it into shorter sentences to show what you mean.

Mr Essam ABDOU (http://www.thanwya.com/vb/member.php?u=253335), Thanks a lot for your reply. However, My quotation is accurate and literal. It's a copy and paste actually from the story. It's exactly as it was written above:
it was much easier for me to pretend to be him than to pretend to me by neighbour at home,
Please check it again and tell me what you think. You surely know I value ur opinion.
Best regards to all my friends

Sw0rdD
27-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Mr Essam ABDOU (http://www.thanwya.com/vb/member.php?u=253335), after a second thought I guess you mean it's a misprint and the sentence might have been:
it was much easier for me to pretend to be him than to pretend to be my neighbour at home
But even this way, it doesn't make sense. What exactly could it mean?
Best regards

الاستاذ عبدالهادى حمودة
27-09-2012, 05:04 AM
كان اسهل عليا ان اقوم بدور الملك اسهل من القيام بدور جارى دليل على اتقانه لدور الملك

Sw0rdD
27-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks Mr Abdel Hady for ur feedback.
However, is pretending to be 'my neighbour' easy? I am after the meaning of the words. I surely understand that he means to stay it was easy to pretend to be the King. But do the words say this?
I have so many students who are too clever to be satisfied by this explanation. My regards

Hamada Sabra
27-09-2012, 11:24 AM
هو إنجليزي ده يامرسي

عندك حق يا مستر حسام

Mr Osman
22-10-2012, 09:05 PM
= =to be my - not to me by
Mr Osman

islam_forever
23-10-2012, 07:49 PM
pretend
اذا جاء بعدها
to +obj by
تعنى اكذب على

يبقى معنى الجملة

كان اسهل على ان ادعى باننى هو من ان اكذب على جار لى فى وطنى

هذا جهدى وعليكم البحث للتاكد
نم تصحيح الجمله الى الآنى:
It was much easier for me to pretend to be him than to pretend to be my neighbour at home.

islam_forever
23-10-2012, 07:53 PM
تم تصحيح الجمله الى
It was much easier for me to pretend to be him than to pretend to be my neighbour at home.

aaabdulwahab
24-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Because I looked so like the King, it was much easier for me to pretend to be him than to pretend to me by neighbour at home, for example.

If we rephrase this sentence, it will read: Because I looked so like the king, it was much easier for me to pretend to be him (the king) than to pretend to (be) me (Rudolf Rassendyll) by neighbour at home for example.
This means that he played the role of the king so perfectly that his neighbour would doubt that he is Rudolf Rassendyll but would not doubt that he is Rudolf Elphberg (the King)
Atef Ahmed Abdulwahab
Teacher of English
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

H0riz0n
27-10-2012, 10:16 PM
السلام عليكم

Hello Mr Sw0rd

You're right. The sentence seems meaningless.

If the person who simplified the original text of "The Prisoner of Zenda" had used the exact words of the unabridged text, the meaning would have been understandable to everyone.

Here's the same sentence in the unabridged text

As I said before, most of all to the very audacity of
the enterprise. It is my belief that, given the nec-
essary physical likeness, it was far easier to pretend
to be king of Ruritania than it would have been to
personate my next-door neighbor.

I think the meaning is very clear and needs no further explanations

محسن لبيب حنين
28-10-2012, 08:32 AM
تسلم يا Sword مفيش أحلى من الأصل وربنا يعوض علينا في بهدلة أدب fiction الناس اللي تعبوا في كتابته

أنا قلت كدة من الأول لعبوا فيه وبهدلوه بقصد أن يتمشى مع تقاليدنا - رغم ان فيه طالب لسة قيللي أن عليهم قصيدة في العربي فيها حب وغزل - وخافوا على العيال من (مجرد القراءة) عن الخمرة في رواية سجين زندا